on Monday, August 22, 2011

but at least I got rained on.

So saturday, I had my first chance to get out since our little guy was born back and the end of April.

I chose as my destination sundial peak and lake blanch, the twin peaks wilderness. The idea was lake, wildflower (I had reports they were going off), and peak. The trail is 2.5 miles with 2700 feet of elevation gain. For you non mountain folks, that translates as STEEP. However, if you time it right, at sunset the peak is bathed in a warm glow of the setting sun.

I started hiking about 5:15 figuring about 2-2.5 hours to make the hike, which would put me there right for the golden hour. About a mile in, I could see the clouds start building to my southwest. Storms can build quickly in the mountains in the summer. Undeterred, I pressed on. As I kept going the clouds got thicker and thicker. Then I heard it. The low rumble of thunder in the distance. It got louder and louder. I could see the clouds building over the ridge in front of me. I passed group after group descending, yet I still pressed on. I paused in an open meadow to see if I could figure out the storm. A watched bolt of lightning steak across the sky directly overhead. CRACK!!! That's it. Exposed in a high alpine meadow is not the place to be in a thunderstorm (lighting kills more people in utah every year than any other weather related death). Time to call it. I was 1/2 mile from the top.

I snapped a few frames, just to make myself feel worthwhile. While I was doing so, it started to rain. Perfect.
The highlights are blown, but I kinda like the raindrops....



About 1.5 miles down canyon, after the rain had stopped, I peaked over the side of the trail to see a wee little water fall. I grabbed a few more frames, and felt better about these.

I made it back to the car in the pitch black (my orignal plan was to hike out in the dark).

It did feel good to get out, I just need to be more productive next time I get the chance....