on Thursday, October 14, 2010
Not everyday is epic.  Even when we are in epic places, sometimes things just don't work out.  Those are the times when creativity and experience are at a premium.  My trip to Zion NP back in May was an example of that.

  • Epic scenery, check.  
  • Small crowds, check.  
  • Wildflowers, check. 
  • Awesome light, EHHH!  Try again!  

I got to the park late enough in the afternoon that on a normal day, there should have been beautiful golden light reflecting off the red canyon walls.  Instead, I got gray nasty skies and soft, flat light.  Flat light equals low contrast, which generally conveys softness, gentleness and mildness in photographs.  Not the look I was going for on that day.  So, I started thinking.  I could shoot wildflower macros, or moving water or I didn't know.  Sigh...

Undaunted, I put on my pack and started to hike one of the easier trails, just to see what I could see and if I could find any inspiration.  I did get a few frames I liked, but nothing spectacular.  I made my way to the Zion Lodge and caught an uncrowded up canyon shuttle.  Sitting at the front of the bus near the driver, I asked her "So, what do you have for a photographer that's off the beaten path?"

"Well", she replied, "Have you ever heard of menu falls?"

"Menu falls?  No, I've never heard of it.  It's not mentioned in any of my guide books.  Where is that?"

"Well, it's a little know spot in the park, near the Temple of Sinawava.  Since there aren't many people on the bus, I can drop you there, but you'll have to walk to one of the bus stops to be picked up."

So the bus made a really quick stop in the middle of the road, I jumped off and made my way up the little boardwalk.  I jumped the rail, pulled out my gear and set up.  This place was a little oasis in the desert.  If it wasn't for the red rocks, I would have thought I was in the pacific northwest, or any number of mountain streams back "home" in North Carolina.  Even with an hour or so to go before sunset, it was starting to get dark beneath the high walls of the canyon.   I clicked off a few frames.  Success.  With a little help, I had managed to find the perfect location to shoot given the conditions of the day.  Not what I had hoped to come away with from my trip, but a solid image nevertheless.     I knew that nobody else in the park that day, got anything similar to this shot.  In fact, I've only seen a few images of this location, which is normally overlooked by folks wanting to shoot the classics of the Subway, the Narrows or Arch Angel Cascades.

So be prepared.  Have a plan, but be willing to shoot what you are given.  Even with guide books, and research before hand, don't be afraid to ask for local knowledge.  Sometimes, you might just be pleasantly surprised by the results.

Until next time,
Lonnie